Tuesday, October 30, 2007

24 Hours To Live- an excerpt from my forthcoming book

Sup peoples,
it's been a minute since my last post
I have been busy working on a new book
I usually don't like to share stuff like this until I am finished but I decided to get some feedback and share my vision with the world.
The book is called
AJ's DAILY DEVOTION:
THE SPIRITUAL DAILY DEVOTIONAL GUIDE FOR THE HIP-HOP GENERATION!
it's something God put on my heart to use my gift of writing that God has blessed me with to reach the youth out there, that are not reading the bible and attending anyone's church.
It's a daily devotion that blends elements of hip-hop, biblical literture, famous African-American quotes, to inspire, uplift and encourage our youth. please take a minute and look over an excerpt of the book and hit my back in the comment section with your feedback, thank you in advance for your input.

24 HOURS TO LIVE
If you had twenty four hours to live just think
Where would you go?
What would you do?
Who would you do?
And who would you wanna notify?
Or would you deny that you was about to die?
Ma$e (24 Hours To Live)


Sometimes I get frustrated with the current state of hip-hop and wanna listen to some older joints. I went for a long walk to clear my head one night and was listening to Mase’s ‘24 Hours To Live’ featuring The Lox, Black Rob and DMX. Where as you could imagine they all discussed all the various things they would do if they knew they were going to die in 24 hours. I started thinking what I would do. Do you know what you would do?
While it was a hot track, the reality is most people never know when they only have hours, days or weeks to live. The news has been full of stories of school shootings, disgruntle employees coming back to kill the boss, multiple fatalities on the highways, plane crashes, 911, Katrina, deadly wild fires in Cali, etc.
None of those people knew they were going to die that day. I’m sure many would try to get right with the Lord if they did. Do you have a personal relationship with God? In the bible in John 14:6 Jesus tells us, “I am they way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” Most people think they have plenty of time to get right with God, cause we all think we are going to live a long life. But the truth is no one is promised tomorrow. My former pastor, Rev. Michael Rouse had a favorite saying. He would say every Sunday after his sermon, ‘Don’t let hesitation cancel your reservation.’ If you die tomorrow, do you know if you would go to heaven? Good deeds, obeying lots of rules and helping your fellow man won’t get you through the final checkpoint.

Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep
If I should die before I wake
I pray my soul the Lord to take

These words are what we teach our children to say before they go to bed but do we teach them what they really mean. If you don’t know Christ for yourself and haven’t put your faith in Jesus as your savior, none of the other stuff will matter. While the song will go down as one of those classic hip-hop joints, not even the artists on the track know when they only have 24 hours to live. Don’t let your time run out!
It’s not what you achieve that qualifies
Its matters not if I gain wealth or fame
The only thing I must be certain of
Is ‘have I put my trust in His Son’s name’ - Hess

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A.J....

I just read the excerpt "24 Hours To Live" from your forthcoming book. There are so many things that come to mind while reading your words...A 12 year old middle school girl died suddenly last week in Yonkers, NY. She had an asthma attack and the team at the medical center were unable to sustain her life. The young lady only lived for a few hours after the "attack." She's gone. I was looking for a station on the radio and happened to hear a tribute to the late, great Gerald LeVert. They were playing "My Song" and I thought about the music video where he's singing ,"It's funny you should call today." Both scenarios present the reality of "What-IF-IF-IF-that's-right-three-if's-IF-knew-I-was-gonna-die-had-only-24-hours-live?" And then, the chilling thought follows, what if the proverbial "hour glass" has been tipped and the "sands" of time (your time) is already flowing through and you DON'T Even know it?????
Hopefully, A.J. all those who read this excerpt now and in the future will at least confront themselves, pose the question, and then "deal" with the answer. There is still no better time than "NOW!"

Be blessed as you continue on your journey. I look forward to reading your entire "Best Seller!"

Your New Ro Sis,

Minister Roz

October 30, 2007 1:26 PM  
Blogger AJ WOODSON said...

thank you very much Roz
I truly appreciate your continued feedback and comments and words of encouragement.
pray for me as I continue to write that I decrease me and increase God and that the final product (each and every page) will be pleasing to God and God's will
thank u

October 30, 2007 5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In a world full of great disfunction, it is a blessing to see that there are some that think of the deeper meanings behind all the chaos. AJ, You are destined for greatness and your insight is needed for this generation, continue to think deeply and allowing the world into the realm that is you. You would be one of the souls I would reach for in my last 24. Love Ya, DJ Reality

November 04, 2007 3:30 PM  
Blogger AJ WOODSON said...

sup Reality
Thank you very much for your comments and feedback. This is the journey and task God has sent me on. I have been running from my calling for the last 6-7 years and I am finally being obedient to it.
Thank you very much for continuing to encorage me and believe in me and even when I didnt totally believe in myself!

Also let me thank all of you who have emailed me and called me to encourage me and pray for and with me.

November 04, 2007 4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As usual your writing bridges the reality of the streets/every day life to a biblical vantage point that is relatable to those who are not well versed in scripture. Thank you for finding that balance and allowing God to use you to reach people who think Christianity is a bore.

God bless,

Justin "Juz" Cooper

November 05, 2007 6:25 PM  
Blogger AJ WOODSON said...

Justin
thank you as always for your continuied support and encouragement.
I truly appreciate it.
Be blessed my brother

November 05, 2007 10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AJ -

As always i really enjoy your writings. Coming from a different religion I can grasp on to what you are saying.

The question of 24 hrs to live what would you do isn't a reality for most, and we dont' know when we are going to go. So practicing your life and living it to the most right now is all that matters.

Keep up the writing, can't wait to read more my friend.

November 05, 2007 10:25 PM  
Blogger AJ WOODSON said...

thanx alot DJ Fader Pilot
'ppreciate your feedback
and good luck with the Obama campaign and that concert.
When I'm done you will be one of those who gets an advance copy!

November 05, 2007 11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord……
AJ God is doing a mighty work in you and your testimony was so powerful.
Praise Him,
Praise Him for He is worthy to be praised.
Love Aunt Carol

November 08, 2007 2:44 PM  
Blogger AJ WOODSON said...

thank you
and yes PRAISE HIM
because this is only possible thru HIM
and HE is speaking through me even if some try to give me the credit
but please Pray for me
because as I finally give in to my calling
the enemy is trying his best to beat me down
and truthfully I was ready to give up a few times (yesterday and last night was one of those times)
but I wont, instead I continue to pray and praide His name
and ask all to pray for me
I trully believe this book, my blog and whatever else God has for me to do
will be a blessing to many when its done and
GOD gets it to the masses how He sees fit
I love you
and keep you and Uncle Joe in my prayers daily

Have A Blessed Day!!!!!
AJ Woodson

November 08, 2007 2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AJ....
God is using you in a powerful way.
He has put you thru your trials and tests to prepare you for a time such as this.
I am excited about your upcoming devotional.
To God be the Glory.
Continue fulfilling the purpose God created you for.
Keep the faith in the Midst of the Storms and run the race of endurance.
Continue to plant the seeds for the harvest of the Hip Hop generation.
Love Aunt Carol

November 08, 2007 2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Aj - your work, meaning all that God is giving you and all that you are forseeing to do is right on time.

Love,
Chelle

November 25, 2007 8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home