Monday, July 16, 2007

FOOTPRINTS

We have all heard or read the story about the one set of footprints in the sand, where a man questions God that when he needed Him most the man only saw one set of footprints in the sand. And God replied the reason the man only saw one set of footprints it was because God was carrying the man. Click www.footprints-inthe-sand.com/PoemPage.htm to read it in its entirety if you are unfamiliar with the story.
I’m reminding of this story when I came home from church this Sunday and found our home had been broken into. My wife and I saw a one set of footprints as well, but these footprints were the footprints of the burglar. We went to see a female member of our church perform at her high school dance recital instead of coming straight home after church and this is what we came home to.
While we were gone for the day the would-be burglar attempted to kick down the front door (leaving on real big clear footprint for the police), when he was unsuccessful he went around to the back and then kicked in the sliding glass door. My wife first noticed the footprint on the door asking me had I tried to kill a bug with my shoe before church and didn’t clean my footprint. Confused by her question and wanting to quickly get inside to drop the groceries we picked up on the way home and eat dinner I went inside. I heard a noise and realized I saw the bedroom light on and the rear sliding glass door shattered.
I dropped the case of water I was carrying and preceded to the rear of the house and realized someone had broken in and we quickly took inventory of our belongings. Upon further search we couldn’t see anything missing and called the police, who found a set of muddy footprints in every room of the house, our bedroom, both of our home offices, but nothing was missing.
I immediately had an array of emotions fear to anger to disgust in addition to trying to let none of it show and in an attempt to be strong for my wife. I was also confused because other then the muddy footprints, no computers, dvd players and other easy to carry electronic items like say a crackhead would take to sell for his next score, was missing. My first reaction was wanting to get my hands on the person who violated us but wanted to assure my wife we were okay It appeared as if the would be burglar took inventory of our belongings as well but didn’t touch a thing.
The police assured us in cases like this the person never returns but as far as I was concerned if he wanted he now knew where everything was and if he was casing our house he would know were everything is and what he needed to transport our stuff.
After the police left and we cleaned up the glass and made arrangements for the glass doors to be boarded up til it could be replaced we sat and prayed. And as much as I thought if only we had come home instead of going to the dance recital (I was tired anyway) we would have been home and this could have been prevented. But what came over me was to thank God that we weren’t home. The burglar could have been on drugs and cause bodily harm to both if us. Even though material things could be replaced nothing appeared to be missing.
Then after my wife fell asleep it really kicked in. Even after praying with my wife, thanking God everything was intact the human part of me became full of rage. I sat outside in a chair on our front deck just looking for signs of someone casing the block or almost looking for a confrontation with someone coming back to finish the job. Even after praying I still felt violated and my wife didn’t feel totally safe. I even asked to police officers of my rights of having a gun in the house, and what I am allowed to do by law in case someone broke in and I did catch him. Basically I wanted some one to pay.
Long story short, I thought of writing this all day and just couldn’t do it and then while out on the front deck again thought back to the story about the footprints story again. While I didn’t see God's footprints like the man in the story he carried us so to speak and had us not to be home to protect us. He protected our stuff and our house and even as I was not thinking clearly he carried me and keep me from hurting someone or getting hurt myself. So I thank God for the one set of footprints, for keeping us safe and make us not become too too comfortable in what we were told by everyone was a good area and, where you would expect this kind of thing to take place.
Instead of doin something stupid I eventually let the Lord handle His business and decided to finally write this and share it and get it out of my system.
Thank you all for letting me vent and share, this has been my testimony.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your thoughts are always so inspiring. I thank God that you were not at home. I thank Him for the ways He watches over and protects you.
AJ,
As you walked up the aisle on Sunday, you appeared tired. Please take care of yourself.

RJ,
Thanks for that big hug.

I love you both.

Smooches,
BBL

July 16, 2007 6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AJ & Rajendra - To God be the GLORY. "Footprints" is one of my favorites - now God has used you both to truly give life to his promises. I thank God for blessing and keeping you safe. Love Aunt Carol & Uncle Joe

July 16, 2007 10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you both are all right because material things can be replaced. i also can relate to all of your feelings, anger, feeling violated, helpless wanting someone to pay. But you did the right thing and put it in God's hands. Revenge is mine thus says the lord, he will handle it.

He's a ontime God that's why you weren't home, God has plans even when we don't know what he's doing on our behalf.

love Mom

July 17, 2007 8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AJ….
A blog is a blessing.
I wish I had something like this a few weeks ago.

Have you heard anything new from the police? Probably not; just asking, though.
That kind of rage cannot be described or explained…..it’s just a feeling of helplessness.
It’s a blessing no one was hurt and that nothing was taken.
I really believe you scared them off.
How was your night?

RSM

July 18, 2007 3:50 PM  
Blogger AJ WOODSON said...

thank u all for all the comments, emails, text messages and phone calls. We are ok, and working our way thru it. We are leaving it Gods hands and just counting our blessings.
We truly appreciate you all!

July 27, 2007 9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home